Tyler's 1 month portraits

Deven's 2-year portraits, they turned out amazing!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Trying to Potty Train


I guess I had no idea how difficult it could be to potty train one little toddler. I know there are a few reasons for how long it is taking but I wasn't prepared for the amount of effort it would take. I've heard of kids picking it up over the weekend, that is not the case for us. We got serious about it after my parents went home to California 3 weeks ago.

Here is a typical dialogue:

MOMMY OR DADDY: Deven, let's go sit on the potty?

DEVEN: No thanks.

MOMMY OR DADDY: Are you sure?

DEVEN: Yes thanks.

MOMMY OR DADDY: Yes what?

DEVEN: Yes I am wet/poopy.

MOMMY OR DADDY: OK, let's go to the potty.

DEVEN: No thanks.

Sometimes when he's feeling especially direct he just skips to "No thanks".

Every time he sits on the potty he gets to pick a sticker to put on the underneath side of the lid to his potty seat. If he actually goes (which did happen once) he can pick a special sticker from his potty book. Very soon we'll throw some cheerios into the big person toilet and see if he wants to have target practice...maybe that will give him a jump start.

I just bought a potty watch to remind the his parents to remind him and so far the result is the same. We're not throwing in the towel yet, we'll stick with it but this kid has quite a strong spirit. He may just outlast us.

2 comments:

Shelley Patterson said...

I understand the frustration. Hunter does not want to have anything to do with the potty, however he has been taking his diaper off and pooping and peeing around the house. Good luck!

SJacobus said...

Two words: Mini M&M's

I hate going the sugar and bribery route, but it definitely worked. I don't remember who told me about it. They only get on if they go! They'll want to try just to see if they can go so they can get one. The mini part at least cut the sugar. You have to definitely watch because sometimes they only go a tiny bit, but that counts.